Monday, August 31, 2009

Rethinking Facebook

Did you realize that Facebook goes into your e-mail account to find potential "friends" for you? I noticed recently that Jason Ibarra was being recommended as a friend to me. Kathie and I met him once in Skagway, Alaska, and blogged about him. His dad happened across our post about Jason, who then e-mailed me through our blog e-mail account to say hi. Other than e-mailing him back, I've had no other contact with him and we have no contacts in common.

So how else might Facebook have known to recommend Jason as a friend to me? That message wasn't even in my main e-mail account - the one I sign in to Facebook and Blogger with. Kinda Big Brother-ish, don't you think? I'm thinking of deactivating my account again.

3 comments:

Katharine said...

Like a creeping octopus with trillions of tentacles.

Pat said...

Yeah, Kelly's even a little freaked out by it. Wonder if I can change my Facebook e-mail to one that's not attached to anything else?

Kappa no He said...

That is creepy. I always thought it was looking for mutual friends. And, hey, you guys have facebooks?

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=552462058&ref=name

I think that's me.