Sunday, December 04, 2022

What could be left? Wednesday, September 28, 2022

What could possibly be left after visiting the Vatican? With two days until our flight home on Friday, you know we found more stuff to see.

On Wednesday, we went back to St. Peter’s Basilica for a more leisurely visit.
We happened to witness this little parade. We didn’t catch the saint’s identity, so you can make up whatever name/story you think suits.
We caught lunch in a little place. Now I can't remember what I ate but I had a lovely Coca-cola while Kathie read up on what Rick Steves had to say about Rome.
The Colosseum. Woof, I hated the Colosseum. HATED it. All of the people taking selfies and merrily being tourists in a place that had seen so much violence and bloodshed, apparently unaware of the ancient suffering and bad vibes hovering around them. Kathie took some nice photos but I think this one is the best, showing the “basement” where the fighters and beasts would have awaited their fates.
And then a hop, skip, and jump over to the Roman Forum. Here’s a tourist ambling along on Palatine Hill.
That particular tourist took a bunch of photos from the hill. I like these.
In the photo just above, the pinkish brick two story in the upper left was the senate building. Remember this.

Back down in the forum itself, she got a lovely shot of the surviving columns of Il Tempio dei Dioscuri (the twins Castor and Pollux).
I was more interested in more mundane ruins, for example this shot that I call "ancient building components graveyard". Much like our Home Depot or Lowes.
Remember the senate building I referred you to above? It was NOT the senate where Julius Caesar was assassinated, which was a shock to at least one of us. Remember this for tomorrow's post.

Walk, walk, walk. We wore ourselves out trying to find our way out of the darn place, so we ubered back to the hotel for a quiet dinner.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You run into some crazy tourists when you travel! Good thing she let you have some of her photos!

Pat said...

I am very lucky she shared her lovely photos with me!