Sunday, August 27, 2006

Inertia II

Speaking of inertia, I’ve just been reading that meltwater is lubricating the bedrock beneath Greenland’s glaciers, causing them to slide toward the sea at a faster rate than before. In the last 15 years, the average winter temperature there has risen almost 10 degrees, and the two-mile thick ice sheet is melting twice as fast as it was in 2001 – faster than climate models predicted. If Greenland's ice cap thaws entirely, sea levels could rise by over 20 feet.

Maybe I'd better start thinking about moving to higher ground.

Scary stuff. So yeah, now I’m into glaciers and global warming big time. Kathie would probably say I’m obsessed with it. My next few posts will probably be about glaciers and global warming. Hopefully, she will interject some more personal (and interesting?) posts along the way. :-)

No comments: