Friday, December 08, 2006

Pet Peeve #23

Why do people continue talking on their cell phones when they pull up to the cash register at the store? Are they just so busy that they can't fit their phone calls into non-cash register time? Makes me crazy...

And while I'm ranting, I may as well complain about people who pass me by without an acknowledgement of my existence. I've taken to saying "Hi" or "G'morning" to everyone I pass - whether or not they look at me - if for no other reason than to just irritate them. Amazing how many will even smile and return the greeting. "Now, was that so hard?" I want to say.

I must be getting old.

2 comments:

Patrick said...

First time visitor here. I think I'll have to go back and read your previous 22 pet peeves to see how many others we agree on!

In my first job as a cashier, there were actually a handful of moments when I would just stand there waiting until they pulled the phone from their ear long enough for me to tell them how much they owed. I didn't do it often, but I had my moments even back then!

As for the greetings, I've worked with some people who'll barely respond even to a greeting. I was brought up to say, "Hi, how are you?" when I met a co-worker. Some of mine will simply say, "Fine" and walk away. When someone asks me how I'm doing, I always say, "Fine, how are you?"

That, apparently, is too hard for some of them!

Pat said...

Hi Patrick,

Nice of you to drop by.

I haven't written yet about the first 22 pet peeves or the 1,733 that follow. Maybe someday...

It would be nice if everyone else had as nice manners as we do, hm? :)

Thanks for visiting!