Monday, December 11, 2006

Sunday at Lowes

An elderly gentleman approaches me, pushing a shopping cart. “I need someone to cut some blinds for me.”

“What aisle will you be on, sir?”

“Ten.”

“I’ll get someone right over to you.”

Later, he approaches my cash register, newly cut blinds in his cart and his wife in tow.

“You fixed me up with the right person.”

“Glad I could be of help.”

“Your kindness is surpassed only by your beauty.”

His wife, the lady customer behind him, and I all grin.

----------------------------------------------------------

“Your change is twenty five dollars, sir.”

“Uh, Ma’am?”

“Hm?”

“You gave me one too many twenties.”

Thank Jesus for honest customers.

----------------------------------------------------------

A man with a bit of a ‘tude bellies up to the counter, all dressed in his Sunday-go-to-meetin’ clothes – medium gray suit, red violet shirt, and a red and green Christmas tie. The combination catches my eye.

“Nice tie.”

“Thank you.”

I can be evil sometimes.

---------------------------------------------------------

Closing time and my dogs are beat. As I amble toward the back of the store to deliver the trash to the dumpster area, I notice all the smells that distinguish the different departments, such as the mothball-y and toxic odors of the fertilizer area and the new carpet smell of Flooring. I am warned to watch my step by the beep-beep-beeping of forklifts rolling up and down the aisles trying to finish their restocking.

Ordinarily, the far back corner behind Plumbing is a beehive of activity after closing; this is the time when new merchandise comes into the store on a conveyor line and is distributed by the after hours crew. Tonight, though, the area’s semi-dark and quiet. When I open the hatch to throw in the bags of trash, a cool breeze of pine scented air refreshes me. Inside are the remains of a discarded Christmas tree, or perhaps just the sawed off branches from all those trees that were sold earlier in the day. It makes me sad, but I welcome the lovely smell.

It’s been a pretty good day.

No comments: