Saturday, December 30, 2006

The Twins

So here’s the story behind our being twins.

One Friday in October of 1995, I flew to San Diego to stay with Kathie for a day or so before our flight to Hawaii to watch the Ironman. The next morning, we attended Kathie’s writing class. (In those days, she dreamed of writing a book. Eleven years later, I can’t even get her to write a post.)

We sat in the back of the crowded classroom. I was wedged between Kathie and one of her classmates, a nice older lady. Kathie introduced me as her sister.

“Which one of you is older?”

“Actually, we’re twins.” It was out of my mouth before I even realized it. “Where did that come from?” I wondered to myself.

“No we’re not,” Kathie hastened to correct me, and went on to explain to the lady that she’s older…or that I’m her baby sister…or something like that.

I whispered to her, “The twins answer was working. Next time, just go with it, hm?”

We’ve been twins ever since.

No comments: