Saturday, March 03, 2007

It's that Girl Scout cookies time of year again

Heather and Sonnjea (and one other blogger I can't remember) wrote recently about Girl Scout cookies. I have to admit I had a run-in with a box of Samoas last week. It was a short-lived run-in - the Samoas lasted almost a day on my desk, with me eating most of them of course. :{

Speaking of sweets...this recipe, adapted from Recipe Goldmine, was served at our hospital board's retreat last weekend. I hear it's to die for. Someone cook it up for me, ok?

Blueberry Cream French Toast Casserole (serves 8)
1 loaf challah, cut into cubes (or Texas toast or egg bread)
8 ounces cream cheese, slightly softened and cut into cubes
1½ cups fresh blueberries, tossed lightly with flour (I'm told the flour tossing is optional)
cinnamon
8 large eggs
1½ cups milk
¾ cup maple syrup
6 tablespoons butter, melted

Coat a 13”x9”x2” baking dish with nonstick cooking spray. Layer one half of the bread cubes in the baking dish. Scatter the cream cheese cubes over the bread and cover with the blueberries, then cover the blueberries with the remaining bread. Sprinkle generously with cinnamon.

Mix the remaining ingredients and pour over the bread. Press the bread with a spatula to help soak up the mixture. Cover and refrigerate overnight, then bake at 350 degrees for 45 to 50 minutes.

Call me when you've got it ready and I'll come right over!

2 comments:

Katharine said...

Uh, are you going to post the calories per serving on this one?

Pat said...

Oh yeah, that's 5,433 calories per serving, a million fat grams, and more cholesterol than anyone should eat in a lifetime...but no trans fats!